Beautifying the grounds of Legacy Park’s Moore Chapel.
Gardens are ongoing works in progress. The Master Gardeners of Dekalb who attend to Legacy Park’s Moore Chapel work to keep the gardens fresh and healthy, adding or replacing plants when necessary, and maintaining the gardens as befits this beautiful and historic 1906 stone structure.
The group began its work renovating the Chapel’s landscape in 2011. There were no gardens around the Chapel at the time. The few remaining beds in the front had been in place over 30 years and were overgrown and weedy. Saving and transplanting their few good plants, the gardeners excavated and amended the soil, then planted new trees, shrubs and perennials.
Accomplishments since include:
- Installing a new stone walkway and expanding the patio
- Sodding the front yard
- Establishing islands with Japanese maples and mondo grass
- Planting gardens on all four sides of the building
- Addressing water runoff from the slate roof using boulders and placing a dry creek bed
- Planting trees and adding benches which invite the public to rest a moment and enjoy the beauty of an old churchyard
Plans in progress include:
- Developing a garden park on the right side of the chapel to commemorate the history of the United Methodist Children’s Home, including benches sheltered by trees and flowering shrubs
- Installing a bronze sculpture of children at play to serve as a focal point
How You Can Help
The Master Gardeners welcome assistance from the Decatur community and beyond. Here’s how:
All work-to-date has been done by volunteers giving a few hours, a few mornings, a few months, or nine years. We welcome all who enjoy gardening — experienced or looking to learn. We have a cordial group of people who enjoy the company of others and working outdoors. We have ample parking and an easy-to-get-to place to garden. Come join us!
To volunteer, contact Betty Knight at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sara Crews at email@example.com.
Continued improvements to the property, including the bronze figures envisioned for the garden, will require financial help from the community. Please consider a one-time or recurring donation here.
Betty Knight | Co-Site Leader
Sara Crews | Co-Site Leader
Connect with Us
500 S. Columbia Drive
Decatur, Georgia 30030